10 Tips to Protect Against Hail Damage
Hail can strike anywhere and without warning — potentially causing major damage to your vehicle.
Your safety is most important in our book! If there is a major hailstorm in your area, do not leave the comfort of your home to cover your car with blankets or move it to a covered location. You could be injured trying to protect your vehicle. Your safety is priceless; your vehicle’s safety is not.
Access has compiled 10 tips to help keep you and your vehicle safe from even the meanest hailstorm!
During the storm
- Do not get out of your vehicle if you are driving during a hailstorm.
- If you can pull over to the side of the road safely, do so.
- Park your car on an angle so that the hail hits the front of your car. Your windshield is made of reinforced glass, the side and rear windows are not.
- In a severe storm, position your back to the windows inside your vehicle and lie down. Cover yourself with a blanket from your roadside emergency supply kit. This will protect you if the hail breaks any of the windows.
When the storm has passed
- If your car suffered damage to any of the windows, remove broken glass immediately to avoid injury.
- Generally, your comprehensive auto policy will pay for the damages caused by severe weather and natural disasters.
- Locate a body shop that you trust to make any necessary repairs.
- Discuss the extent of the damage with the body shop and your insurance broker.
- Before leaving the shop, make sure that you are fully satisfied with the repairs made to your vehicle. Check for any remaining dents and obtain a written guarantee of their services.
And number 10! Get in touch with Access Insurance Group Ltd to determine if you have enough coverage to protect yourself from life’s many storms. We’ve got your back!