Skip to content

8 Tips for Safe Winter Fires

Two-thirds of all residential fires are caused by improperly maintained fireplaces, chimneys and wood stoves, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Which means, most of these types of fires are preventable. So, before you cozy up to a fire this winter, make sure you follow a few simple safety tips.

1. Get your fireplace and chimney inspected and cleaned.

Some fires are the result of a build-up in the chimney flue called creosote, which is a byproduct of burning wood. When the temperature inside the flue gets high enough, the creosote can ignite, causing a chimney fire. Because flues are not designed for the high temperature of a direct fire, the flue material can crack or separate and allow the structural material of a house to catch fire.

2. Maintain your wood stove, gas log system and oil-fired heating equipment too.

Each of these systems should be cleaned, inspected and maintained at least once a year to prevent problems.

3. Install a spark arrestor.

A spark arrestor is a screen that covers the top of your chimney. It can prevent hot embers from flying out of the chimney, landing on and igniting roofing material, leaves, or other debris on the roof.

4. Install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home.

Carbon monoxide can cause sickness and even death if undetected. Because it cannot be seen or smelled, a detector is a necessity.

5. Use a protective screen with a wood-burning fireplace.

This screen will catch any stray embers before they can fly or pop out of your fireplace.

6. Use seasoned hardwood.

Softwood or unseasoned hardwood can cause an excessive amount of creosote to build up in your chimney flue.

7. Keep your fire at a reasonable level.

While it may seem nice to have a roaring fire in the fireplace, creating excessive heat in the chimney can cause the flue to crack.

8. Stay by your fire until it’s out.

Never go to sleep or leave your home while a wood-burning fire is going. By being close by, you can make sure your fire stays under control – and you can enjoy its warmth and ambiance!